x
x

Add a comment

Device: KeyMander 2

Still experiencing crashing....

I am still experiencing random crashes even after this most recent update, and they have become more and more frequent. Here’s a couple of things to cover as some background:

I am on the most recent FW (1.1.106.004) and my app is updated(1.0.077)  (but is it even required to have on every time you use the KM2?)

I’ve ensured my Xbox one controller, which doesn’t have batteries in (Model #1708), is in USB mode by attempting to update the controller’s FW, which is also updated,

I’m using a Corsair Harpoon mouse and a low-voltage, wired keyboard from Acer,

I have tried using an 5V1A Apple USB phone charger which is the same one I use to charge my iPhone, and a 5.2V1.8A usb charger,

I have tried both USB ports in the back of the Xbox and I have tried using the front one just for kicks and giggles,

I have done a “reset device” through the app,

I have done a manual reset by holding both buttons for 10 seconds, which is what another user suggested in another thread,

I have used different cables, even purchased a new, higher quality USB-micro cable for the power input,

When the crashes happen, the KM2 stays lit with the green light and there’s no indicators showing there’s low voltage at any point

I have tried starting the Xbox, then plugging in the Xbox-to-KM2 cable followed by the power cable and vice versa, also tried having everything plugged in already and then turned the Xbox on, also tried having only the power cable plugged in then turning on the Xbox (and vice versa), also tried plugging things in during the green logo screen after restarting the Xbox...

Aside from plugging the KM2 in to my desktop to manually update the FW or something, I’ve tried just about everything else. Still crashes randomly for me no matter what I do. In its current state, I cannot use this for any sort of ranked/competitive matches, even with warzone now, because the crashes are so frequent.

04/30/2020 11:44 PM

Can you try to test other keyboard first ?

05/01/2020 12:53 AM

Reply to:

Can you try to test other keyboard first ?

My only other keyboard is an RGB keyboard that would draw more power than my current one that has no lights except for the three indicator lights.

05/01/2020 10:02 AM

Few days ago when I used Acer keyboard I had same issues.

Then I change to my gaming keyboard and tried using an 5V2A SONY USB phone charger and work!!

05/01/2020 10:25 AM

Reply to:

My only other keyboard is an RGB keyboard that would draw more power than my current one that has no lights except for the three indicator lights.

The answer to your first question is no, you do not need to have the app connected to use K2 once your profile is synced.

Here's some questions that will help us to try and duplicate the issue:

Does the controller disconnected notice pop up on the screen?

Does the phone lose connection to the K2 unit when it crashes?

What version of Xbox One are you on? (original, S, X?)

What model of XB1 controller are you using? (original, original with audio, Elite v1, Elite V1?)

What model is this keyboard? Can you please also try your RGB keyboard with the power supply connected to the K2?

Do you have another controller you can try? I personally have a XB1 S white controller that has a problem and causes the K2 to crash often. I believe the micro USB connector on it has a problem and it is causing a problem with the power supply, but I have not yet taken it apart to confirm. If you have another controller to try, please let me know what you find out.

05/01/2020 10:27 AM

Reply to:

The answer to your first question is no, you do not need to have the app connected to use K2 once your profile is synced.

Here's some questions that will help us to try and duplicate the issue:

Does the controller disconnected notice pop up on the screen?

Does the phone lose connection to the K2 unit when it crashes?

What version of Xbox One are you on? (original, S, X?)

What model of XB1 controller are you using? (original, original with audio, Elite v1, Elite V1?)

What model is this keyboard? Can you please also try your RGB keyboard with the power supply connected to the K2?

Do you have another controller you can try? I personally have a XB1 S white controller that has a problem and causes the K2 to crash often. I believe the micro USB connector on it has a problem and it is causing a problem with the power supply, but I have not yet taken it apart to confirm. If you have another controller to try, please let me know what you find out.

I went ahead and followed the PC method to update the FW . Here's a log of the process:

> Loading & testing files ...

> Loading & testing files: OK

> Preparing firmware upgrade ...

> Firmware version is not newer than device GE1337P2 (MAIN) : 000

> Preparing firmware upgrade: OK

> Upgrading device GE1337P2 (MAIN) : 000 ...

> Upgrading device GE1337P2 (MAIN) : 000: OK

> Firmware upgrade: OK

In the bottom left corner where it says "device description," it says the following after updating:

CPU : STM32 

Device F/W: Ver 1.1.106

U-Code: Ver 1.0.062

Please note that it appears the .zip that is linked in the above FAQ thread is of the older FW version and not the newest one that was released, as it downgraded the FW to 1.1.105.001. After this process, I went back on the app to update the FW back to the newer version: 1.1.106.004.

The "controller disconnected notice" does not show up on my screen. What happens is whatever keypress (if any) I made just before the crash, the game will continue "holding" that keypress. So, if I was currently walking forward and shooting, and the KM2 crashes, my in-game character continues walking forward and shooting without me being able to control it. The message ("controller disconnected") only shows when I unplug the KM2 from the xbox. The light on the device continues to show the solid green color, as my keyboard, mouse, and xbox all lose power (no LED indicators on).

The phone does not lose connection when it crashes, as the KM2 itself seems to still maintain power.

I am using the Xbox One S.

I am using the standard wireless Xbox Controller model # 1708. This is the exact one I have: https://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Wireless-Controller-Grey-Green-one/dp/B074FBKCMB I do have the same model that came with the console (the XB1-S White controller) that I can try out, but it got damaged from a spill so it may not work properly.

The keyboard that I have been using is an Acer SK-9020 that came with my current PC.

The RGB keyboard I have is a Razer Cynosa Chroma Gaming Keyboard, which has a higher power rating than the current keyboard I have been using with the KM2 (400mA vs 100mA power rating).

My current controller has never had issues with power, or disconnects, and I have been using the USB connector that came with KM2 to connect the controller to the KM2, and the connection is firm and stable and not loose or wobbly.

I will test it some more now that I went through the PC process as mentioned above. I will try out my other controller if necessary, but I'd first like to keep everything the same as it was, the only difference being the most recent FW changes I made.

05/01/2020 2:15 PM

Reply to:

I went ahead and followed the PC method to update the FW . Here's a log of the process:

> Loading & testing files ...

> Loading & testing files: OK

> Preparing firmware upgrade ...

> Firmware version is not newer than device GE1337P2 (MAIN) : 000

> Preparing firmware upgrade: OK

> Upgrading device GE1337P2 (MAIN) : 000 ...

> Upgrading device GE1337P2 (MAIN) : 000: OK

In the bottom left corner where it says "device description," it says the following after updating:

CPU : STM32 

Device F/W: Ver 1.1.106

U-Code: Ver 1.0.062

Please note that it appears the .zip that is linked in the above FAQ thread is of the older FW version and not the newest one that was released, as it downgraded the FW to 1.1.105.001. After this process, I went back on the app to update the FW back to the newer version: 1.1.106.004.

The "controller disconnected notice" does not show up on my screen. What happens is whatever keypress (if any) I made just before the crash, the game will continue "holding" that keypress. So, if I was currently walking forward and shooting, and the KM2 crashes, my in-game character continues walking forward and shooting without me being able to control it. The message ("controller disconnected") only shows when I unplug the KM2 from the xbox. The light on the device continues to show the solid green color, as my keyboard, mouse, and xbox all lose power (no LED indicators on).

The phone does not lose connection when it crashes, as the KM2 itself seems to still maintain power.

I am using the Xbox One S.

I am using the standard wireless Xbox Controller model # 1708. This is the exact one I have: https://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Wireless-Controller-Grey-Green-one/dp/B074FBKCMB I do have the same model that came with the console (the XB1-S White controller) that I can try out, but it got damaged from a spill so it may not work properly.

The keyboard that I have been using is an Acer SK-9020 that came with my current PC.

The RGB keyboard I have is a Razer Cynosa Chroma Gaming Keyboard, which has a higher power rating than the current keyboard I have been using with the KM2 (400mA vs 100mA power rating).

My current controller has never had issues with power, or disconnects, and I have been using the USB connector that came with KM2 to connect the controller to the KM2, and the connection is firm and stable and not loose or wobbly.

I will test it some more now that I went through the PC process as mentioned above. I will try out my other controller if necessary, but I'd first like to keep everything the same as it was, the only difference being the most recent FW changes I made.

Unfortunately as you correctly noticed, we haven't received the files yet for the most recent firmware to update using PC, so this version is actually older than the OTA update we released two weeks ago today. I'm working to get that file so we can get it set for PC update if needed.

The Razer Cynosa should work fine, as although the spec states 400mA, it actually consumes much less even at peak. Try your damaged XB1 S controller and see if it powers on, as it only need to authenticate and we can leave it connected.

05/01/2020 4:32 PM

Hi Xsrsly

Please try to use the gaming keyboard you owned (Razer )

My experience the office keyboard mouse is more easily to disconnect , it is not relative the power issue ,

if you use the 5V2A power , power is not the issue

Please to try your gaming Keyboard and Mouse on it

05/02/2020 8:16 AM

I tried it for a while last night after going through the FW process--while using the same controller/keyboard/mouse I have been using--and it did not crash, though I didn't use it for very long. If it crashes again, I will try the other keyboard to see if it works better.

05/02/2020 2:47 PM

Reply to:

I tried it for a while last night after going through the FW process--while using the same controller/keyboard/mouse I have been using--and it did not crash, though I didn't use it for very long. If it crashes again, I will try the other keyboard to see if it works better.

You should just switch to the razer keyboard. I use the exact same keyboard as well as a Logitech g502 hero mouse all of which have some sort of RGB lighting and i have never had an issue when it comes to power consumption. As long as you have an adequate power cable and wall adapter power wont be an issue. I would give up on the Acer keyboard for sure as they have only given me problems where all my Razer keyboards have worked flawlessly

05/03/2020 10:10 PM

Reply to:

We think we have the issue diagnosed but need your help to confirm. Long story short, we believe the issue may be related to the Acer keyboard's USB bus speed, and switching to the Razer will help us confirm that diagnosis if the Razer works without issue.

05/04/2020 9:37 AM

Reply to:

We think we have the issue diagnosed but need your help to confirm. Long story short, we believe the issue may be related to the Acer keyboard's USB bus speed, and switching to the Razer will help us confirm that diagnosis if the Razer works without issue.

So when I test things, I like to control one variable at a time so I can verify the root cause, and thus far it does seem like the acer was the issue.

I kept everything the same initially after redoing the FW, and it still crashed randomly. Then I swapped out the controller, and that still crashed (my white Xbox controller), then went back to the original controller I’ve been using and swapped out the Acer with my Razer keyboard and it did not crash again; however, I only used it for maybe an hour or two but thus far it seems to be that the Acer was the problem.

Also, if (after some further testing) I can confirm that the Razer works, I would suggest adding the Razer Cynosa Chroma Gaming Keyboard to the list of compatible keyboards.

05/04/2020 2:09 PM

Reply to:

So when I test things, I like to control one variable at a time so I can verify the root cause, and thus far it does seem like the acer was the issue.

I kept everything the same initially after redoing the FW, and it still crashed randomly. Then I swapped out the controller, and that still crashed (my white Xbox controller), then went back to the original controller I’ve been using and swapped out the Acer with my Razer keyboard and it did not crash again; however, I only used it for maybe an hour or two but thus far it seems to be that the Acer was the problem.

Also, if (after some further testing) I can confirm that the Razer works, I would suggest adding the Razer Cynosa Chroma Gaming Keyboard to the list of compatible keyboards.

Can you give us the model number of that Acer keyboard?

05/04/2020 6:08 PM

Reply to:

Can you give us the model number of that Acer keyboard?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-SK-9020-wired-keyboard-/392170062559

It's an Acer SK-9020.

This is honestly the only link I've found for it, so it's definitely not common. It came with my desktop, which I've since rebuilt. I am perfectly fine using the Razer, by the way.

05/04/2020 7:10 PM

Used again last night for a few hours with the razer. Did not crash. Seems like the Acer was the problem.

05/05/2020 3:02 PM

Reply to:

Used again last night for a few hours with the razer. Did not crash. Seems like the Acer was the problem.

Thanks for confirming. It seems we now know the issue with certain keyboards and their USB bus speed being an issue, so hopefully we can find a way to patch them.

05/05/2020 4:03 PM

Add a comment

Welcome,