x
x

Add a comment

Device: KeyMander 2

Xbox one controller not going into usb mode when plugged into keymander2

I have attempted trouble shooting steps to force the usb connection. My controller lights up when hard wired into my Xbox but won’t light up when usb connected to the keymander2

03/18/2020 7:22 PM

I meet that issue before , did you check your controller is going usb or bt connect ?

after I upgrade my fw from app to K2 then select the Xbox profile

After upgrade I shutdown the Xbox for a while then reconnect , it works , wish it be useful for you

03/18/2020 7:34 PM

Reply to:

I meet that issue before , did you check your controller is going usb or bt connect ?

after I upgrade my fw from app to K2 then select the Xbox profile

After upgrade I shutdown the Xbox for a while then reconnect , it works , wish it be useful for you

Yes, that usually works, but some older Xbox One units will have to go as far as unplugging the power connected to the console to clear the memory.  If the simple power off method doesn't solve the issue, follow the full instructions here.

03/19/2020 10:35 AM

I have tried all of these steps and when I plug my controller into the keymander 2 it does not go into usb mode. When I force the controller into usb mode it turns off when I move the plug from the Xbox into the keymander 2.

03/19/2020 5:32 PM

I'm having the same issue with a original model (non-Slim or Model X) Xbox One. No matter what when I go to move from the Xbox to the keymander it will lose the connection. I've done this with and without the extra power. I've followed the full instructions many times.

I've also tried using a Hyperkin wired xbox controller which doesn't seem to be recognized or powered by the keymander. This is very frustrating.

EDIT

=============

I should also add this is the second generation of Xbox controller where the headphone jack was added, but before open Bluetooth was added.

03/20/2020 8:08 PM

We need a fix I know a lot is going on right now in the world hindering the process of fixing or responding to this issue but it’s really frustrating having went through all your troubleshooting steps to no avail. I could understand if this was a cheap product but it’s not and I need it to work as it was bought with other expensive products (my keyboard and mouse) and they are sitting here useless atm when I would use them most. We at least need someone to be in direct contact with via chat or phone call so they can help us through this.

03/21/2020 9:41 AM

I never was able to get this to work with an original (fat) model XBox One and the second generation Xbox One controller (with added headphone jack but no bluetooth). I did try a newer Xbox One S controller (with headphone jack and bluetooth) and was able to get it to work. I would:

1. I started with the keymander unplugged from the xbox with the keyboard and mouse plugged in to it and no external power. The controller was off and connected to the included cable but not plugged into anything else.
  2. Plug the controller into the back of the xbox using the included cable and let it turn on (the light would just turn on, no blinking)
  3. I then held the power on the controller to bring up the power menu and selected turn off the controller.
  4. I then unplugged the controller from the xbox and plugged it into the keymander2 and proceeded to plug it into the back of the xbox and let it set for a couple minutes.

Most but not all of the time the controller light would just come on things would work. If it didn't (either not light up or blink three times indicating wireless mode) I would retry the above process again. Any time I unplugged either the controller or the keymander I would wait a full 5 seconds to make sure there was no power left. Also to be clear I did not use the external power, though I did test it and determine it was a non-factor to my problems.

A very inconsistent experience. I tried with multiple keyboards and did determine that one of the keyboards I was using (a BlueFinger half keyboard) was absolutely not working (under no circumstance would anything work when I would include it) and went to a basic dell early 2010 keyboard which then did work with the above. I also tried a PDP (that I ventured out to purchase) and Hyperkin Microsoft licensed wired Xbox One controller to see if that would work, and they do not. That would be a great solution if they did as there is nothing but usb mode for them!

Hoping this gets smoother overall! This has absolutely not been a 1-2-3 plug and play scenario for the version of xbox one and controller that I had. I've since set this aside and am trying another product to see how the experience compares. Really rooting for the Keymander though! The phone app is great, updating profiles is easy, and it did work just fine for my Switch.

03/22/2020 2:55 PM

What worked for me was unplugging the power pack from its power source, not just unplugging the cord from the Xbox itself. Hope that helps.

03/22/2020 6:20 PM

it will only go into usb mode and light up when plugged through the Xbox I have tried everything and still won’t connect usb mode through the key commander. I added pictures to the original post if it helps any

03/23/2020 11:39 AM

Reply to:

it will only go into usb mode and light up when plugged through the Xbox I have tried everything and still won’t connect usb mode through the key commander. I added pictures to the original post if it helps any

Let's start over and do the following which is slightly different than our normal procedure:

1. Disconnect everything from KeyMander 2. Make sure there is nothing attached to any of the ports on the K2 unit.
  2. Disconnect KeyMander 2 from the Xbox One console.
  3. Press and hold Xbox power button on console for 10 seconds until the console shuts down.
  4. Unplug the power cable from the console for 1 minute.
  5. Reconnect power cable to the console and turn on using the power button on the console. DO NOT press the power button on a controller!
  6. When green Xbox screen comes on during boot up, connect the controller directly to the Xbox One console using the micro USB cable. The controller should light up by itself indicating it is in USB mode.
  7. Reconnect KeyMander 2 cable to the rear USB port on Xbox One console but make sure NOTHING is connected to the KeyMander 2 unit.
  8. Disconnect the controller micro USB cable from Xbox One and reconnect to KeyMander 2. The controller should light up by itself indicating it is in USB mode.

Did the controller turn on?

If the controller turned on, reconnect external power to the K2 unit (if needed) and then reconnect the keyboard and mouse.

03/23/2020 1:18 PM

ItsDroBuu9119 looking at your keyboard in your first post, I would try a different keyboard as well if it isn't a standard, full keyboard. My problems were largely around a 34 key keyboard. With a full keyboard and a Xbox One S Controller I was able to get things to intermittently work.

03/23/2020 3:52 PM

Reply to:

ItsDroBuu9119 looking at your keyboard in your first post, I would try a different keyboard as well if it isn't a standard, full keyboard. My problems were largely around a 34 key keyboard. With a full keyboard and a Xbox One S Controller I was able to get things to intermittently work.

What is currently not working?

03/23/2020 4:34 PM

Reply to:

What worked for me was unplugging the power pack from its power source, not just unplugging the cord from the Xbox itself. Hope that helps.

Do you have an original Xbox One with the power brick?

03/23/2020 4:35 PM

Reply to:

The pictures help a lot as I can see the LED status bar is only going across 25% meaning you have a low voltage issue.  You need to connect an external 1Amp or greater power supply to the external Power port on the K2 unit.

03/23/2020 4:38 PM

Reply to:

What is currently not working?

Hi dhamilton.

Using a BlueFinger RGB One Hand Keyboard (https://www.amazon.com/Keyboard-Backlit-Rainbow-Letters-Mechanical/dp/B07YFNW54T) in the keyboard port results in the Xbox One S controller never powering up. This is with the extra power and without. Toggling the keyboard's "Full" vs "Gaming" mode doesn't seem to do anything. Replacing the keyboard with a standard keyboard results in the controller powering up in USB mode maybe 3 out of 4 times.

If we have database / post of non-compatible I would put that one-handed keyboard in that category.

03/25/2020 12:18 PM

Reply to:

Hi dhamilton.

Using a BlueFinger RGB One Hand Keyboard (https://www.amazon.com/Keyboard-Backlit-Rainbow-Letters-Mechanical/dp/B07YFNW54T) in the keyboard port results in the Xbox One S controller never powering up. This is with the extra power and without. Toggling the keyboard's "Full" vs "Gaming" mode doesn't seem to do anything. Replacing the keyboard with a standard keyboard results in the controller powering up in USB mode maybe 3 out of 4 times.

If we have database / post of non-compatible I would put that one-handed keyboard in that category.

Thank you for the information!  We frequently buy popular keyboards for testing as well as ones mentioned with issues so I will see if we can get one.  Looking at the item on Amazon I'm guessing it is a direct China import that likely does not use standard ASCII protocols.  We are going to be focusing on the Razer Tartarus as the first of one-handed keyboards, but after that we will be adding others.  In the meantime I have added the BlueFinger to the list of non-working keyboards.

03/25/2020 5:07 PM

I have tried everything mentioned with and without the external power cord going to the key commander and still not working

03/30/2020 6:15 PM

My issue is the controller won’t go into usb mode when plugged into the key commander even when I have tried everything everyone here has suggested

03/30/2020 6:16 PM

It is my setup video , might helpful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAJ4eQ_fXeQ&t=11s

03/30/2020 7:23 PM

I’m at the point where I just want to return the product I can’t understand what’s wrong I have done everything I can to make it work and still no usb connection for controller

04/01/2020 8:53 AM

Reply to:

I’m at the point where I just want to return the product I can’t understand what’s wrong I have done everything I can to make it work and still no usb connection for controller

I haven’t read everything in this thread, but in the pictures you provided, there’s a little white light showing on the Keymander 2. That is a low voltage light, and the entire bar should be lit green when properly connected (blue for when it is connecting to Bluetooth).

I also don’t see a cable plugged in to the KM2 for power supply, so if you have not yet you should plug in a 1amp or greater power supply to provide power to the device.

Have you tried using a different keyboard/mouse? Do you have the KM2 cable plugged to the back of the Xbox, and have you tried other USB ports on the back (and maybe even try the one on the front?)

04/01/2020 9:13 PM

I have tried with and without the power supply both back and front usb as I have said multiple times in this forum

04/02/2020 7:44 AM

Reply to:

I have tried with and without the power supply both back and front usb as I have said multiple times in this forum

There are two things that concern me here and I'm not sure were answered.  First, did you get this power problem solved or is the K2 light still showing the power problem as seen circled in red?

Next, that controller does not appear to be an original Microsoft brand Xbox One controller as is required.  What controller is that? 

If there is something wrong with your K2 unit we will of course replace it, but there is something here we are missing, so please let me know the answer to the questions above first. 

04/02/2020 11:09 AM

Reply to:

There are two things that concern me here and I'm not sure were answered.  First, did you get this power problem solved or is the K2 light still showing the power problem as seen circled in red?

Next, that controller does not appear to be an original Microsoft brand Xbox One controller as is required.  What controller is that? 

If there is something wrong with your K2 unit we will of course replace it, but there is something here we are missing, so please let me know the answer to the questions above first. 

The Xbox controller looks like it has a cover on it and it has stick extenders. But even then, the controller’s “X” logo isn’t lighting up as it should.

04/02/2020 8:36 PM

Reply to:

Let's start over and do the following which is slightly different than our normal procedure:

1. Disconnect everything from KeyMander 2. Make sure there is nothing attached to any of the ports on the K2 unit.
  2. Disconnect KeyMander 2 from the Xbox One console.
  3. Press and hold Xbox power button on console for 10 seconds until the console shuts down.
  4. Unplug the power cable from the console for 1 minute.
  5. Reconnect power cable to the console and turn on using the power button on the console. DO NOT press the power button on a controller!
  6. When green Xbox screen comes on during boot up, connect the controller directly to the Xbox One console using the micro USB cable. The controller should light up by itself indicating it is in USB mode.
  7. Reconnect KeyMander 2 cable to the rear USB port on Xbox One console but make sure NOTHING is connected to the KeyMander 2 unit.
  8. Disconnect the controller micro USB cable from Xbox One and reconnect to KeyMander 2. The controller should light up by itself indicating it is in USB mode.

Did the controller turn on?

If the controller turned on, reconnect external power to the K2 unit (if needed) and then reconnect the keyboard and mouse.

Thanks this worked for me

04/17/2020 5:53 AM

Reply to:

Thanks this worked for me

There's a K2 App update and new firmware released today that should help prevent most Bluetooth switching issues in the future. Be sure to update the K2 App before updating the firmware.

04/17/2020 11:29 AM

Add a comment

Welcome,